FOLLOW THE STEPS:
- Such an incident can be reported at a police station or special juvenile police unit.
- The police are supposed to be taking the child to the nearest medical facility within 24 hours.
- The presence of a woman during the medical check-up is mandatory, and if the parents are not there then the police officer in charge of the case summons a woman police officer or helper to be present within 24 hours of notice.
- It is not mandatory to file and FIR before going for medical asistance – no medical facility can turn a child victim of sexual violence away. Please check the information on Medical Assistance and check-up.
- The police will also let the Child Welfare Committee (set up in all districts) know within 24 hours.
- The evidence should be recorded within 30 days and the case should be completed by a special court within 1 year. For the purpose of speedy trials these special courts have been created.
- The police should provide you with information about counsellors.
Please read about medical aid required for cases of child sexual abuse.