Who we are?
We are Nakshatra NGO (Reg No: 836/12), focusing on Anti-trafficking and spreading awareness about sexual violence in India. We have established a Rape Crisis Centre in Chennai. We mainly work with victims of sexual violence in the downtrodden slum communities in Chennai.
Some of the services provided by Nakshatra for victims and their families are:
- COUNSELLING: Free and confidential counselling for sexual assault survivors
and their family and friends. We believe that the single most important thing for a sexual assault survivor is his or her psychological and physical health. Sometimes the kin of a survivor may also need counselling to deal with what they have been through – we can help them too. Contact: 0091-9884057856.
You can also contact us on behalf of a victim of sexual abuse.
- YOUTH PROGRAM: Free counselling for adolescent sexual assault survivors
ages 12 to 18 years.
- MEDICAL AND LEGAL ADVOCACY: Free and confidential accompaniment
to medical exams, law enforcement interviews, and legal proceedings.
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We can help you with information about the many options a survivor may consider, including how to access medical care, and whether to contact the police.
- COMMUNITY EDUCATION AND OUTREACH: The Nakshatra RCC offers trainings and
presentations to students and businesses on topics such as sexual assault,
sexual harassment, and gender stereotyping.
- SELF DEFENSE: There is also a self-defense program designed for women, which
emphasizes avoidance and teaches psychological and physical protection
Most importantly, the Nakshatra RCC believes in victims of sexual violence and know that it is not the victim’s fault. We understand that each individual has to be heal in his or her own way, and we try to keep this in mind. The victim’s rights are very important to us, but at the same time we respect the victim’s feelings and choices. We will always leave you to make the final decision, and help you to carry out the decision as best as we can.
For more information, please visit www.ngonakshatra.org. You can also contact us by phone or email:
- Nakshatra Hotlines: 8939-883-050, 8939-883-080
- Phone Numbers: 0091-9884057856, 0091-8682845868, 0091-9790516336
- Email addresses: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Share your story with us here, anonymously if you wish. This will inspire other survivors and give them a reason to fight.